As time goes on, the teeth become more susceptible to damage as they wear down. It is almost inevitable that you will suffer a chip, discoloration, crack, or another dental health care problem, but help is out there. Dental veneers are a great way to restore your smile to its original appearance – or even better.
About Porcelain Veneers
A veneer is a thin shell of material designed to cover your natural teeth. It covers cracks, stains, and other imperfections, and it is often made out of porcelain. There are several great benefits to choosing this cosmetic dentistry option:
- Efficient and effective. If you want to change the size, shape, and appearance of your teeth, porcelain veneers are a great solution, as they look just like the natural teeth.
- Fast. The procedure involved with placing veneers isn’t as involved as dental implants.
- Durable. If you maintain your veneers properly, they can last for 10-30 years.
- Stain-resistant. Porcelain veneers are a great option for patients with tooth discoloration, and they are also resistant to future stains.
Porcelain veneers can be used to correct a variety of dental problems:
- Discolored teeth resulting from stains, root canal treatment, excessive fluoride, or other causes
- Teeth that have worn down, broken, or chipped
- Misaligned, irregularly shaped, or uneven teeth
- Gapped teeth
The process of getting porcelain veneers usually takes several appointments. After your consultation, the teeth will be prepared by removing about ½ millimeter of enamel from the surface to make room for the veneer. A local anesthetic will be used to keep you comfortable during the process, and once the preparation is complete, an impression of your teeth will be made.
Your dentist will send your impression into a dental lab, which then constructs the veneers. Once they are complete, they are permanently cemented to your teeth, and they will be trimmed as needed to get the right size and shape.
Contact us today to learn more about porcelain veneers.